A guide to future-proofing your bathroom
With Britain’s population aging more year by year, it is paramount that everyone is made aware of the importance of making sure that your home is safe and suitable for the future. Here are some ways in which you can ensure that your bathroom is timeless to you.
What is future-proofing?
To future-proof is to design or change something so that it will continue to be useful in the future, even when your situation changes. It is important to ensure that your bathroom is going to be suitable for you and your household even as you get older and less mobile. Even if you are able bodied at present, it is good to know that your bathroom will be safe and easy to use should your circumstances change in the future.
Why do I need to future-proof my bathroom?
As we age, we become less mobile. Add water, slippery surfaces and high bath/shower thresholds to the equation and there are many potential slipping and tripping hazards. It is important to future-proof your bathroom not only to stay safe, but also so that you can remain both confident and independent when you are bathing.
How can I future-proof my bathroom?
There are a range of ways in which you can future-proof your bathroom. At Assistive Bathing we offer a range of luxury, stylish walk-in baths, walk-in showers and wet rooms. Here is a little bit about all of our products and how they can help you to continue to bathe independently as you grow older:
Future-proof your bathroom with a walk-in bath:
Unlike your conventional bath, a walk-in bath features a watertight door which allows you to step into the bath over a low threshold. This means that you no longer have to hoist your legs over the side of a large tub, meaning you are less prone to injury. This style of bath is perfect for arthritis sufferers and anybody else who enjoys a relaxing bath but suffers from chronic aches and pains.
Once you have entered the bath, you simply close and securely lock the door, fill the tub with water and relax! Once you are finished, you drain the water and exit the tub safely.
Safety features include:
- Secure locking system & anti-leak guarantee to ensure that there will be no leaks from your bathtub
- Some of our walk-in baths come with in-built bath lifts to offer you even more assistance when entering and exiting
- Anti-slip flooring to reduce the risk of slipping or falling when you are bathing
Future-proof your bathroom with a walk-in shower:
There are options available for those who prefer showering to bathing too. Our walk-in showers are designed with an abundance of safety features to ensure that you are able to enjoy independent bathing experiences. These include:
- Low-level threshold to enable you to enter and exit your bath without having to step over a large surface
- Anti-slip flooring to minimise the risk of slips and falls when you are enjoying a shower
- Grab rails that can be located around your bathroom to aid you when you are getting around
- Comfortable, adjustable shower seat to rest on, particularly beneficial for those who suffer from lack of balance or aches and pains
Future-proof your bathroom with a wet room:
Wet rooms are another solution for easy access showering. As opposed to just upgrading your bath or shower, the entire bathroom is converted into one even, flat surface. This makes wet rooms the perfect option for wheelchair and mobility scooter users, as there are no uneven surfaces or obstacles.
Our wet rooms offer multiple safety features including:
- Anti-splash screens to ensure that there are no leaks
- Secure grab rails that cab be located wherever you would like around your bathroom to offer you additional support
- Height adjustable, folding shower seat – perfect for when you are washing your hair or feet
- Tempered safety glass as a standard
- Slip resistant and durable poly-flooring to help to prevent slips and falls
Other optional features to consider:
Grab rails can be installed throughout your bathroom in areas that you think would be the most beneficial for you. They can offer you sturdy support if you find it difficult to manoeuvre around your bathroom, or if you find it hard to balance. Not only this, but they can also enable you to feel more confident when you are bathing or showering. We offer a range of products within our accessible bathrooms that can double up a grab rails such as shelves for your toiletries.
Our bathroom designs come with the option of mixer taps. This is when hot and cold water come out of the same spout. Mixer taps can be installed anywhere in your bathroom; your bath, shower and your sink. They are easy to use, and are controlled by one simple lever. Once you find the perfect temperature for you, you can leave the lever in your favoured position and simply wait for the bath to fill.
It is important to ensure that your bathroom is light and bright enough for you to be able to get around it without jeopardizing your safety. Without the correct lighting, the risk of slipping and falling is increased as you are less likely to see obstacles and wet patches on your floor.
How can we help?
Are you considering making your bathroom safer for the future? If so, we can definitely help you! Simply click here to request your free brochure, or give our team a call today on 0800 085 5585!
To receive our latest full-colour brochure and product guide, please complete the *fields in the form below.